A Community-Based Diabetes Coalition:
- Is an organization of diverse members who combine their talents, expertise, and resources to achieve a shared goal that is unlikely to be accomplished by a single member or organization.
- Seeks to identify, develop, and implement strategies to address diabetes-related community problems.
- Is supported and guided by multiple community members and organizations who work together collaboratively.
Location and Contacts
Contact A Community Diabetes Coalition To Get Involved!
Coalition Activity Examples:
- Community awareness campaigns
- Promotion of local diabetes and prediabetes education
- Advocacy and education efforts with local leaders and legislators
- Support groups
- Assistance programs for medication, supplies, or education
- Environmental improvements to encourage healthier lifestyles
- Special events, such as expos, supermarket tours, camps for children, diabetes alert screenings … and more
Ingredients For Coalition Success:
- Ongoing membership recruitment of people touched professionally or personally by diabetes
- Unified vision and mission
- Local identity
- Effective leadership
- Clear action plan
- Mutual value and respect
- Efficient structure
- Effective communication
- Collaboration among partners
- Celebration of accomplishments