A special thank you to our legislators that have supported Kentuckians with diabetes.
Legislative accomplishments related to diabetes from the last several years:
- Requiring state regulated insurance plans to cover diabetes education and diabetes supplies. (1998)
- Adding diabetes to the Kentucky death certificate. (2002)
- Improving school nutrition in lunch programs and vending machines.
- Helping ensure the medical safety of children with diabetes in Kentucky by allowing non-medical school personnel to administer glucagon.
- Funding the Diabetes Centers of Excellence. (2007)
- Establishing and funding the Kentucky Diabetes Research Board. (2006)
- Passing the Diabetes Educator's Licensure Law in Kentucky. (2012)
- Passing a requirement that in the odd year, three agencies in the Cabinet for Health a Family Services; the Department for Public Health, the Department for Medicaid Services and the Office of Health Policy; and the Personnel Cabinet collaborate in developing a Kentucky Diabetes Report on the impact of diabetes on the Commonwealth as well as proposing recommendations for how to address this epidemic. (2011)
- Passing a law that allows non-licensed school employees to volunteer to be trained to help children with diabetes with essential care tasks, including administration of insulin. It also allows children to self-manage their diabetes while at school if they are capable of doing so. (2014)