It's time to register for Diabetes Day at the Capitol!
View this email in your browser
Diabetes Day at the Capitol 2017
Join us on March 2nd, 9:00am-12noon in Room 113 to meet your legislators!
Bring your stories to share with your local policy makers.
Make individual appointments before you arrive and let Mary Beth Lacy of your scheduled time @ email@example.com
Need help locating your local legislator?? Go to www.lrc.ky.gov
Register for Diabetes Day at the Capitol on the KDN website:
Thank You to Our Legislators!
Legislative accomplishments related to diabetes from the last several years:
- Requiring state regulated insurance plans to cover diabetes education and diabetes supplies. (1998)
- Adding diabetes to the Kentucky death certificate. (2002)
- Improving school nutrition in lunch programs and vending machines.
- Helping ensure the medical safety of children with diabetes in Kentucky by allowing non-medical school personnel to administer glucagon.
- Funding the Diabetes Centers of Excellence. (2007)
- Establishing and funding the Kentucky Diabetes Research Board. (2006)
- Passing the Diabetes Educator's Licensure Law in Kentucky. (2012)
- Passing a requirement that in the odd year, three agencies in the Cabinet for Health a Family Services; the Department for Public Health, the Department for Medicaid Services and the Office of Health Policy; and the Personnel Cabinet collaborate in developing a Kentucky Diabetes Report on the impact of diabetes on the Commonwealth as well as proposing recommendations for how to address this epidemic. (2011)
- Passing a law that allows non-licensed school employees to volunteer to be trained to help children with diabetes with essential care tasks, including administration of insulin. It also allows children to self-manage their diabetes while at school if they are capable of doing so. (2014)
Below are links for facts about diabetes in the state of Kentucky. Click the links to open a new window and view the PDF.
Kentucky Diabetes Epidemic - Tips for Legislators
2016 Kentucky Diabetes Fact Sheet
2016 KDN Legislative Update Form - need to email in to Janey at KDN for follow-up with local legislature connections
2016 KDN ' FIND your Legislator Search Sheet
2016 Kentucky List of House of Representatives
2016 Kentucky List of Senators