Please follow the THREE STEPS BELOW TO IDENTIFY your legislator and MAKE AN APPOINTMENT.
1. CLICK on the LINKs below to find your congressman or legislator.
2. Call your local legislator office to set up appointment.
3. Get confirmation and prepare for your KEY MESSAGING on the need for their Advocacy for Diabetes.
A special thank you to our legislators that have supported Kentuckians with
Legislative accomplishments related to diabetes from the last several years:
- Requiring state regulated insurance plans to cover diabetes education and diabetes supplies. (1998)
- Adding diabetes to the Kentucky death certificate. (2002)
- Improving school nutrition in lunch programs and vending machines.
- Helping ensure the medical safety of children with diabetes in Kentucky by allowing non-medical school personnel to administer glucagon.
- Funding the Diabetes Centers of Excellence. (2007)
- Establishing and funding the Kentucky Diabetes Research Board. (2006)
- Passing the Diabetes Educator's Licensure Law in Kentucky. (2012)
- Passing a requirement that in the odd year, three agencies in the Cabinet for Health a Family Services; the Department for Public Health, the Department for Medicaid Services and the Office of Health Policy; and the Personnel Cabinet collaborate in developing a Kentucky Diabetes Report on the impact of diabetes on the Commonwealth as well as proposing recommendations for how to address this epidemic. (2011)
- Passing a law that allows non-licensed school employees to volunteer to be trained to help children with diabetes with essential care tasks, including administration of insulin. It also allows children to self-manage their diabetes while at school if they are capable of doing so. (2014)
Below are links for facts about diabetes in the state of Kentucky. Click the links to open a new window and view the PDF.
Kentucky Diabetes Epidemic with messages and tips for talking with Legislators